Paypal To MPESA: Questions and Detailed Answers
Steve Oke Chapchap Market No Comments
Frequently Asked Questions
About the Service
This is a money transfer service for PayPal and M-PESA customers, enabling joint customers to move funds between their own accounts. The service is provided by Thunes in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal.
What is M-PESA PayPal?
This is a Service offered to M-PESA customers by TransferTo in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal.
The Service is operated by Thunes in cooperation with PayPal and Safaricom. Thunes is a B2B mobile payment network connecting financial institutions and mobile operators globally.
To qualify, you must have an eligible Kenyan PayPal and M-PESA account.
This service is only offered to users in Kenya with registered M-PESA accounts, Google accounts and Android devices.
In order to use the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-PESA, you need to have a qualifying Kenyan PayPal and M-PESA account. When registering to use this service, you’ll then link your two accounts and will be able to move your money from one to the other.
Sign up for a PayPal account at paypal.com/ke and follow the steps to complete registration. While signing up requires adding card details, the account will still be created even if you don’t add a card. To finish setting up your PayPal account, simply click on the PayPal logo at the top left or click on the link in the email from PayPal to confirm your email address.
You can register for M-PESA at any M-PESA agent outlet across Kenya.
- Log in with your PayPal login details (email and password).
- Enter your M-PESA account phone number.
- After submitting your account details, Thunes, on behalf of M-PESA, will send you a 4-digit verification code to the mobile number associated with your M-PESA account.
- Please enter the code to confirm and complete the account linkage.
- That’s it! Next time you can log in directly with your PayPal email and password and get started.
- After completing the registration, click “Withdraw”.
- Your available balance will be displayed. You will only be able to withdraw money up to the available USD balance shown in your PayPal account. If you hold a balance in your PayPal account in a different currency, please log in to your PayPal account at paypal.com/ke and convert the money into USD.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw from your PayPal account in USD.
- You will be redirected to a page showing the amount to be received in KES, the exchange rate used for the currency conversion, and the estimated transaction processing time.
- Confirm and complete the withdrawal of funds.
- After completing the registration, click “Top Up”.
- Enter the amount you would like to top up in USD and click “Calculate” to get the equivalent amount converted in KES. This is the KES amount you need to transfer from your M-PESA account. The exchange rate used will be displayed on the same page.
- Go to your M-PESA menu and select “Lipa na M-PESA” then the “Pay Bill” option.
- Enter Business Number 800088.
- Enter your phone number as the Account Number.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and click “Send”.
- Use your newly topped up balance to easily and more securely shop online or send payments with PayPal.
Both PayPal and M-PESA accounts must be held in the same name and you can move money between your accounts. The service does not support money transfers between different people.
To access the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-PESA you need to use one of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer version 9 and later
- Chrome version 27 and later
- Firefox version 30 and later
- Safari version 5.1 and later
- Opera version 23 and later
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked. *