Ad ID: 29000
Added: July 6, 2019
How to Pay NHIF Through M-Pesapeople Ask me below questions everyday PEOPLE ALSO ASK How do I pay NHIF via mpesa? How do I check my NHIF account? How do I update my NHIF payment? Can I apply for NHIF online? “>
NHIF Payment Through M-PesaOur country is slowly but surely turning digital. Voluntary and self-employed contributors can be able to pay for their NHIF contributions through M-Pesa – Kenya’s innovative mobile money transfer technology. This can be done in a very short time and it is much better than going to queue on any NHIF office. Those wishing to make an NHIF payment for their employees should use the By-product Option for Company. You can get more information here.
NHIF Paybill Number
National Hospital Insurance FundNHIF stands for National Hospital Insurance Fund which is actually a Government parastatal that was established in 1966 as a department under the Ministry of Health. NHIF caters for the health care needs of Kenyans by giving them a medical insurance cover enabling them to get affordable treatment when in need. Though they have a long way to go, they have made some notable improvements towards the goal of offering comprehensive medical coverage to all Kenyans.
How to Make Your NHIF Contributions Via M-PesaThese are the procedures to follow to make your monthly contributions to NHIF through M-Pesa. Make sure your mobile phone is M-Pesa enabled and you have loaded it with the amount you want to send, plus, of course, the transaction charge. The contributions for the voluntary and self-employed is at the moment Kshs 500 per month. You determine how many months you want to pay for.
NHIF Business Number or Pay Bill Number
- On your mobile phone, go to the M-Pesa menu and select the Payment Servicesoption.
- Select the Pay Bill option.
- Enter Business Number which is 200222.
- Enter Account Number – this is the contributor’s National Identity Card Number.
- Enter the amount you wish to send and press okay.
- Enter your M-Pesa pin
- Confirm if the details are correct then press okay
- After successful submission, you will receive a confirmation SMS from M-Pesa.
The Transaction Charges for NHIF are as Follows:
|Min. Amount (Ksh)||Max. Amount (Ksh)||Charge (Ksh)|
Checking Your Account Status Using the MobileIt is very easy to check your account status via your mobile phone:
- Compose a new SMS.
- Type the letters “ID,” space, then your ID number (or passport number if applicable) e.g ID 12345678.
- Send to 21101.
This is What you will get as a Reply
- Your member number
- Your ID number
- Your year of birth
- Your last contribution and your
Which method do you use to make your NHIF contributions?
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Question:Regarding payment through Mpesa, supposing there was a delay, will it be automatically updated or you have to visit their office?Answer:In most cases, the payment will update automatically once the systems are okay. The best thing is to check your account status to see if your payment has reflected. If it takes time to reflect, you can always visit or contact the NHIF office for help.Helpful 44
- Question:Is it possible for a person to pay NHIF by using another phone number which is not his or hers?Answer:Yes, you can pay with any phone number. This is because the only important thing is the ID No or National Identity Card Number that you will enter. Make sure you enter the correct ID number.Helpful 24
- Question:What is the NHIF Paybill number?Answer:The NHIF Paybill number or Business Number is 200222. The individual will then use the national identification number (ID No.) as the account number.Helpful 23
- Question:How can a member add a dependant to the NHIF fund?Answer:The best way of adding a dependant is to visit any NHIF office. There is a form you will fill with details of the dependant. If it is a child, you will require a birth certificate and for the spouse a marriage certificate and of course passport size photos.Helpful 22
- BUYINGAll You Ever Wanted to Know About Home Mortgages But Were Afraid to Askby Victoria Van Ness0
- INVESTINGWhy Do People Invest in American Eagle Silver Coins?by John R Wilsdon10
- PERSONAL FINANCEThe Best Way to Organize Receiptsby Virginia Kearney19
- BANKINGWhen Does My Money Go Into My UK Bank Account?by Jimmy the jock193
- Martin Muthii Muriithi 25 hours agoI have been trying to pay for NHIF using the paybill number and id number, but since 29th April it has been telling me.Transaction failed, mpesa cannot complete payment to NHIF, organisation receiving payment is unavailable, try later.Even this morning I have tried and gotten the same message.how else can one pay using mpesa if paybill is not working.
- Jennipher anne 4 weeks agoHow can I activate my membership after paying the outstanding months without visiting Nhif office.
- Lucy wangari 2 months agocan one add a dependant who is a child of 9 months using a notification of birth
- CATHERINE NGARACU 2 months agoI have been trying to pay for NHIF using the paybill number and id number, but since 29th April it has been telling me.Transaction failed, mpesa cannot complete payment to NHIF, organisation receiving payment is unavailable, try later.Even this morning I have tried and gotten the same message.how else can one pay using mpesa if paybill is not working.
- John s Mayaka 4 months agoI, too, have been trying to pay my NHIF premiums for the last two weeks but I am getting the message is “the format of your account number is incorrect”! It’s not amusing at all, getting the same message for over two weeks. That shida should be fixed urgently
- Faith 5 months agoI am unable to pay monthly contribution through mpesa .Kindly assist. The message am getting is that the format of my account number is incorrect.
- Abigael Rhoda 6 months agoHi..how can i get the updates in my new number coz i changed the one which i registered my NHIF
- Said Mwaropia 8 months agoHello, Can I Register My Wife As My Dependant With No Marriage Sertigicate And How Much Will I Be Paying (Self Employed)
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 8 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaHello Guto, it is only possible to pay through Mpesa if you are an Individual. For companies, you can follow the procedure from this article … https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Make-NHIF-P…
- Guto 8 months agoHi.can i make my NHIF contributions formy business through mpesa?if yes what is the procedure please?Thank you.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 10 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaLilian, the best way is to visit any NHIF branch or Huduma and they will sort you out.
- Lilian 10 months agoMy mum’s NHIF is in arrears since May 2017 and she wanted to use her car, kindly advice wayforward: (1) How much am I to pay to be allowed to use the card please?
- Jane njoki 12 months agoAm paying my contribution via mpesa and it’s reflecting that the request failed what should I do
- Abdulrahman Sheriff 12 months agoIf I pay through M-Pesa, is it updating my account straight away or what should I do to make sure my account is upto date?
- GABREEKIM 13 months agoThank you, its an awesome lesson, asante sana
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 14 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks, Annette for the visit. Well, yes there is a deadline for self-employed and the payments should be continuous. Meaning you should not skip some months. I am not sure if it is ninth of every month.
- Annette 14 months agoHello Patrick, thanks for the article. Is there a payment deadline for self-employed contributors?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 14 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaPeter, when you pay late, penalties apply. Again with delayed payment, you will not get covered. So it is important to pay on time.
- Peter 15 months agoWht happens when i pay late
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 16 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaHello Haria, for Alien ID, you need to consult with NHIF people. I am not sure it is possible though. Thanks.
- Haria 16 months agoI am trying to pay for NHIF contribution through Mpesa for Alien ID and I keep getting wrong format? How do I go about it?
- Haniel 16 months agoI am trying to pay via Mpesa, and getting a response,”Failed. The format of your account number is incorrect. Please try again with the correct account number”In which format do put the ID No.? ; Please adviseThank you
- Gladys Biwott 16 months agoIam trying to pay via mpesa for my mum, I get this msg_the format of account is incorrect which format are we supose to use, i have been trying to pay since last week, I followed the procedure Business number 200222, account number – ID then………
- Betty 17 months agoI am trying to pay via Mpesa, and getting a response,”Failed. The format of your account number is incorrect. Please try again with the correct account number”In which format do put the ID No.? ; Please adviseThank you
- Werimba Catherine mwaniki 18 months agoI paid nhif this month but my nhif account it is not still updated
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 23 months ago from Nairobi, KenyaHi VIVIAN, I am not sure if it will reflect but check your contribution and if it does not appear, go to their offices and they will help you out. To get your account status via your mobile phone:Compose a new smsType the letters “ID”, a space, then yourID number (or passport number if applicable) e.g ID 12345678Send to 21101Note: Charge for this service is Kshs 10 only.
- VIVIAN 2 years agoI paid NHIF contributions via Mpesa and i used membership number instead of ID number.Will it reflect in my statement
- Dave 2 years agoMany thanks for article. How long does NHIF take to effect Mpesa contributions?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 2 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaYes Rabecca, the self-employed are supposed to contribute 500 shillings every month.
- rabecca 2 years agois there specific amount for self employed?
- waruguru muthoni 2 years agoThank you Patrick for your kind response. Will be rushing there at lunchtime
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 2 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaHello, Waruguru Muthoni – The best thing for you is to visit any NHIF office for help. They will be able to update your details and advice you accordingly. You can also check whether Huduma center can be of help. Thanks.
- Waruguru Muthoni 2 years agoHey Patrick, I paid for my mums yearly subscription on 27.01.2017 and upto now they have not updated, I realized that on Saturday when she went to hospital. Now it was the first time I paid through mpesa and I used her NHIF membership number as account number. Kindly assist how I might get help. Thanks
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 2 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaAbel – Your employer should start paying for your monthly contributions, though I think you can still continue paying as an individual.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 3 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaYes @samuel Self employed is 500. Sorry for that, i am just a blogger and I forgot to update that. For your problem, you can visit your branch and see if they will help you.
- samuel 3 years agoHI nhif please update ur data i.e..self employed contribution is it ksh 160 or 500.What is wrong with Naivasha branch ,I have enrolled my mum since last year 2015 August but up to now I haven’t gotten the card what is wrong ?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 3 years ago from Nairobi, Kenyaisaac, I am not sure for how long, the best thing is you keep on checking with their offices.
- isaac 3 years agoave been paying it for six months bt avnt received my card,and the last time i visited the offices i was told to wait for a call or sms,my question is how long does the card take to be produced to members??
- william odhiambo 3 years agoJust preparing to register my parents.thank you nhif.
- pJohn 4 years agoSitaki
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, [email protected] yes they had been enacted but then later I heard that the court had stopped the process. So at the moment we can only wait.
- Stevo 4 years agoAm not sure whether the revised n.h.i.f funds has been enacted or not yet?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaSTEPHEN consult NHIF or Huduma center to have your question answered.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, [email protected] tough questions. I am a blogger and I do not want to assume I know it all. The best thing is for you to visit NHIF or any Huduma center. They will answer your questions. For the second question, the company should notify NHIF.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaYou should check with NHIF but there is a way you start paying afresh to avoid the penalties though he will not be covered for 2 months. Just visit any Huduma center and they will clarify for you.
- cheruiyot 4 years agoAve been paying the n.h.i.f payments for ma dad. who is unemployed but came to learn later that he mised a month n there are charges which has sum up to be a burden.. how can you assist me.. coz this is the 4th month and i don’t have such kind of money.
- Mandy 4 years agoHi, I have a few questions:1. How do you change your NHIF status from employed to voluntary/self-employed?2. When you leave a company, are they supposed to notify NHIF?3. And also, if I have lost my NHIF card, how can I get it replaced? Is there any charge for this?Thankyou.Thankyou.
- STEPHEN 4 years agocan i apply for nhif and get the card immediately and use it now, or how long does it take the card to mature after application?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, [email protected] Mwanthi for this you can contact NHIF and this can be solved in any Huduma center.
- Regina Mwanthi 4 years agoHOW DO I GET A CARD REPLACED FOR MY MOTHER WHICH SHE MISPLACED CAN NOT BE FOUND I FULLY PAID FOR YEAR 2015 MEMBER NO 4416454 THANK FOR YOUR MPESA PAY BILL.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaKLN you can get a receipt from NHIF offices or from any Huduma Center.
- KLN 4 years agoIf I pay full year contribution through M pesa, how do I get certificate receipt.
- mary Rubia 4 years agoThanks nhif. U really plays a great role in our lives.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks Nyamache for this new information about the number for checking one’s status.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, [email protected] Athman for a company you do not use the Mpesa option. There is an option for a company.
- B. Athman 4 years agoWhat if it’s a company paying for employees. What happens to the account part where u have to fill in your ID no.
- Joshua Nyamache 4 years ago from KenyaThe technology has made it easy to make payments; we could have really wasted a lot of time queuing in banks to make payments. The number for checking your account status using the mobile changed from 6443 to 21101.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 4 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaI agree with you Suba. They have even made it messy such that you do not get replies from NHIF.
- Suba 5 years agothe M-Pesa payment system is very easy and convenient. However, the almost monopoly it enjoys make it charge us expensively. Let us wait for a new entrance at least to compete with M-Pesa. This will make them lower their charges, which is a burden to the ordinary person.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaYes @enock nyandiko they have made payment system much easier
- enock nyandiko 5 years agoMpesa is the digital way for human to embrace, i used it over the holiday and i love it. kudos safcom
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaEarlier on the system used to be good but now days there are issues with their system.
- CHRIS 5 years agoIt is agood idea but once you pay i takes more than one week to get response from the org. I have been forced to go to office personally to have the cash reflected in the card.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, Kenyajane newton – You should contact NHIF
- jane newton 5 years agowhat’s happen if i have lost my nhif card?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks Steve Maingi
- Steve Maingi 5 years agowaoh this is digital indeed ..bigups Patoh
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks pauline for reading and commenting. I totally agree with you.
- pauline 5 years agoIt is dully easy to do it. Saves a lot of time and energy. Also enjoyable. Thank you Growing Kenya.
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaIt true Justus. It is because we are now in the digital era. Thanks for reading and commenting.
- Justus 5 years agoThis time NHIF registration is very fast compared to previous years.keep it up. Justus
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks Jesca nice for commenting. Yes I agree with you that now you can save a lot of time and this is what we need in our country, total digitization of services.
- Jesca nice 5 years agoThis has saved lots of my time I had to dodge frm Job que for quite sometime b4 am served. kudos to the one who introduced this
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 5 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaEMILY, I am not sure of this but you can contact NHIF offices for a clarification.
- EMILY 5 years agowhen i pay by mpesa, does it reflect immediately in your systems?
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 6 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaThanks lucy patrick, it is surely a great method of submiting your dues.
- lucy patrick 6 years agoI used the M-pesa method and it was great idea
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 6 years ago from Nairobi, KenyaJossy, making use of M-Pesa saves the self employed or voluntary ones a lot of time. We hope they will keep on improving the system to accommodate even those who are employed. Thanks for reading and commenting.
- josiejossy 6 years ago from Nairobi KenyaWaoh..grt hub though its abit unfortunate for those employed since they have to go to their offices before due date and make the payments…N do i send with an extra cash for withdrwal or its jst the actl amount…thnx for sharing..
- AUTHORPatrick Kamau 6 years ago from Nairobi, Kenyalucy patrick, make use of M-Pesa and you will save your self a lot of time wasting.
- lucy patrick 6 years agohi! and the way i used to travel all the way to make payment. good hub